Psalm 66:10 “For you, O God have tested us; you have tried us as silver is tried, You have brought us into the net, you laid a crushing burden on our backs; you let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; yet you have brought us out to a place of abundance.
For You O God have tested us;
The Lord sends the trials of life specifically for us. Many tend to blame circumstances, other people, or even look to themselves as the cause of their misery. But it is clear from this verse that the Lord, intended the trials for us, because He is testing us.
How God tests us according to the passage:
1. Tried as silver is tried. In testing the purity of silver, the amount of silver is not lost. Only the alloys are separated. When God tests us, only our weaknesses and sins are removed. As we yield to God’s testing, we only become more beautiful in the eyes of God. As Adam Clark said, God tests us not of wrath, but of love.
2. You have brought us into the net. When the Israelites were trapped between the Red Sea and the wilderness, it was God who put them in that situation to make His glory known. When we are pushed to the limit, God is directing us to Himself, who alone can deliver us out of any trouble. The pandemic seems to have no solution, and it continues to wreak havoc all over the world. But we yield to Him who knows what He is doing. He has put us in this trial and will get us out in His time.
3. You laid a crushing burden on our backs – God puts our strength to the test. He tries us to the utmost. (Albert Barnes)
4. You let men ride over our heads – It may mean humiliation and persecution. In this Covid times, it seems that some government officials are riding over our heads with inconsiderate prohibitions. We have no choice but to do what they want us to do.
5. We went through fire and through water. This statement refers to an overwhelming nature of pain. We may experience extreme suffering in various forms. Sometimes family problems, at times, financial or physical infirmities.
6. Yet you have brought us out to a place of abundance. God led the Israelites to a place where there are ample rivers, springs, and streams, producing fertility and abundance (Barnes). Verse 6 is clear that the purpose of all the extreme trials above is to bring us to a place of abundance. God has a perfect design tailor-made for us. We just have to follow God’s blueprint in our lives. After the storms of life, we can see a beautiful masterpiece, delightful in God’s eyes.
Let us remember that God is testing us out of love, not our wrath. Even amid pandemic, we are confident that God sends this trial to His people out of His love.
May we continue to trust that in the hardship and the difficulties we face, the Lord has tailored-made them for us to test us. Is out of love, not out of wrath. And all for our good. May we pass the test and come out us purified gold and silver.
You are our very kind and loving Father. We don’t deserve Your kindness. In joy and pain, we know that all Your intention is for our good. You have given them to us out of love. May we not resent Your testing but welcome them. By your grace may prove that we love You. In Jesus Name. Amen