Ruth 2:17 “And she gleaned in the field until the evening, and beat out what she had gleaned. And it was about an ephah of barley.“
See the industry of Ruth. She gleaned in the field until the evening. She worked with all diligence, seizing the daylight. She saw the value of work and maximized her opportunity to gather grains in the field of Boaz. What she gathered until evening, she beat, and it amounted to an ephah of barley. We can see the thoroughness of her work. It is not enough to be diligent in one’s labor. There must be good closure to any work we do. We must finish what we have started. It is only then where we can see the fruit of our labor and find enjoyment in it.
Lessons from the work attitude of Ruth
1. We must exhibit industry in all our labors.
2. We must maximize every day of our lives by working as much as we can but exercising temperance by balancing work and rest.
3. We need to live a balanced life. We must not neglect to exercise, to spend time with our children, wife, church, and for ourselves too.
4. We must finish every task we do. We must not leave things undone. Because no matter how hard we labor, if we fail to finish them, it is just a waste of time, money, and energy. It is when we complete a task that we can enjoy the fruit of our work. We need to strive to finish every task, big or small. Do we have a project at home or in the office taking so much time to complete? Let there be no unfinished task lying around.
5. We are made in the image of God, and we reflect that image in the work that we do. God pronounced everything that He created as good. We should also aim to do good in all the things we do so we can please our Father.
6. Ruth did not glean for herself alone but for her mother-in-law Naomi. Our work must not be centered on ourselves alone, but to help others as well.
7. Ruth woke up early so she can glean more grains. We must start our day early so we can more. And it means sleeping early as well.
Dear Lord, in this world of many attractions and distractions, give us the grace to focus on the work that You want us to do. In this world full of stresses, help us to find our rest in You. May You make us fruitful for the glory of Your name. In Jesus Name, Amen.